Monday, October 31, 2011

Meatloaf: The Slimmer Version


Happy Halloween!
I don't know about you, but it is 5:30 as I type away, and I am ready for all of those cute little trick-or-treaters to start knocking on our door! Our block is aflutter on Halloween, and it is very fun to watch!

In honor of Halloween I decided to try something that I am rather scared of...meatloaf! When I think of meatloaf I just think of something heavy and bland and rather unhealthy. I turned my nose up at every serving as a child, but ever so often, when I would allow a tiny morsel into my mouth, I actually really did like the taste and texture. So, after running into my mom at the grocery store this afternoon, she convinced me that it was the right thing to make for dinner tonight! So on Halloween, I faced my fear of meatloaf and can now confidently say that meatloaf is indeed a yummy and easy dinner solution! Mom, I am sorry for refusing this tasty dish for so many years!



This recipe is so easy and honestly very yummy! It literally took me 5 minutes to put everything together and takes about 35 minutes to bake. Perfect on an evening where you are busy or rushed (or running to the door every few moments to hand out candy!). The recipe is inspired by a Cooking Light recipe, but I made some changes. The Ranch Dressing mix dry packet is something mom uses all the time to add extra flavor without adding extra fat. It is something you can always have on hand, such a nice short cut to big flavor!

Printer Friendly Version


Ingredients:
1 pound of lean ground sirloin
6 tablespoons of ketchup, divided into 3 tablespoon portions
1/2 cup of bread crumbs, I used Italian
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire
1 large egg white
2 tablespoons of skim milk
1 packet of ranch dressing mix (dry)

Steps:
1. Gather all of your ingredients.

2. Mix all of your ingredients together in a large bowl.


3. Mold the mixture into a rectangular form in a shallow baking dish.


4. Top with the remaining 3 tablespoons of ketchup.


5. Bake for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
6. Enjoy with fresh baked bread and a vegetable medley!

No comments:

Post a Comment