Thursday, November 3, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits

I love breakfast. However, I also really love my sleep and during the week sleep always wins over a large homemade breakfast. Typically I grab a banana or packet of oatmeal that I will add hot water to and eat once I get to work. The weekends, however, provide me with ample time to make Robert and I delicious homemade breakfast feasts. It's part of what I love most about the weekend.

This was not my first time making homemade biscuits, it was, however, my first time making biscuits from scratch without a mix. The results were absolutely delicious and definitely worth the large mess of flour and dough I left all over the kitchen. Oops. :) Have I mentioned how amazing my husband is to help clean up after my messes in the kitchen?

One thing I love about making homemade biscuits is that you can freeze the dough already cut and then just pop one in the oven later when you're ready for it. Just like you can buy in the freezer section of the grocery store. I will say, that I learned somethings while making this.

First, you don't need to use a rolling pin, just pat the dough down into a flat circle. In fact, the biscuits that I just formed with my hands from excess dough rather than rolling them out and using the biscuit cutter were my favorites. Second, the dough is super sticky, be warned and prepared. Finally, don't roll out your dough too thin or else you'll have thin crispy biscuits. Which still taste good, but lack the flakiness that defines all great biscuits.

Printer Friendly Version

Buttermilk Biscuits

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 to 6 tablespoons chilled butter cut into little squares (I used 6)
1 cup buttermilk

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a sifter.





Sift into a large bowl.
Using a pastry cutter, or if you're me a whisk, cut in the butter pieces.

 Work the butter in until they are the size of small peas.
Make a well in the center of the flour.
Pour in the buttermilk.
Stir until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
Transfer to a floured surface and knead 8 to 10 times.
 (Your hands will get messy.)
Roll out the dough, our push down using fingers, until about 3/4 inch thick.

Cut with a biscuit cutter.
Place the dough on a cookie sheet.
Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with butter or jam and a big cup of coffee.

Source: The Joy of Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment