Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Butter Sage

While I have loved the yellow squash and zucchini of summer for a good portion of my life, I am completely new to the acorn and butternut squashes of the winter. I got my chance this week when a beautiful little butternut squash appeared in my produce share. As I searched for recipes this one caught my eye because of the use of brown butter sage, which I have heard of used with both sweet potatoes and winter squash.

I have a confession to make. Tonight, while making this squash to go with our baked chicken, I let myself get distracted and completely burned the sage. It happens to all of us at one point or another. Luckily for Robert and I, once the burnt to a crisp sage leaves were picked away, the squash was still delicious boasting the nuttiness that brown butter provides. When making this dish, save the brown butter sage until the squash and main course are ready and watch it closely. It doesn't take long to go from perfect to ruined.

Printer Friendly Version

Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Butter Sage


Ingredients
1 butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
6 leaves of fresh sage, chopped

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Cut the ends off of the squash and discard.
Using a vegetable peeler, remove the skin from the squash.
 Slice the squash in half lengthwise,
 and remove the seeds and strings with a spoon.
 Cut into 1/2 inch strips and place on a baking sheet.

 Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
 When the squash is done, chop the sage leaves.
Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add the butter.
 When the butter is golden and smells nutty reduce heat to medium and add the sage until it turns dark green and crispy.
 Drizzle over the squash, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Source: PBS Kitchen Explorers

No comments:

Post a Comment