So I am not feeling top notch tonight. Certainly feels like the first cold of the season has hit me with all it has got! What better food to make for yourself when you are feeling under the weather than tomato soup? Bunker and I love this recipe because it is so much healthier than the cream filled versions, but it is just as flavorful, especially with the addition of oven-roasted tomatoes. This is a rather easy recipe, but slightly messy because you have to get out the food processor, but very much worth the mess!
We paired our soup with a grilled ham and cheese for Bunker and just a plain old grilled cheese for me! Enjoy on a cold winter night, or when you have the sniffles.
Printer Friendly Version
2 cups of cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
1 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 cups of chicken stock
1 tablespoon of honey
A dash of salt and pepper
A dash of Italian seasoning
1. Roast the 2 cups of cherry or grape tomatoes in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes. I added a touch of olive oil and a bit of Italian seasoning.
2. Gather the rest of your ingredients.
3. Add the olive oil and garlic to a large pan and saute for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the can of whole tomatoes to the garlic.
5. Add the roasted tomatoes to the tomato and garlic mixture.
6. Add the chicken stock to the tomatoes.
7. Remove from the heat and pour into your food processor.
8. Puree until smooth. Mine still had a bit of texture which is just fine.
9. Add the tomato soup back to the pan and add the honey and seasonings.
10. Pour into serving pieces and enjoy with a toasted sandwich!