Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Nantucket Baked Cod

Like Suzie, I too have been reluctant to cook fish. After a series of unfortunate experiences with fish and shrimp, I spent most of my life convinced that I did not like seafood. In fact, on Robert and my first date he cooked me tilapia for dinner, looked at me and said, "When you said you didn't eat seafood, you didn't mean tilapia. Right?" That was the first night I had eaten a bite of fish since I was ten.

Since then I've regained my taste for shrimp, but fish has still taken a while. Suzie's leap into cooking cod and salmon inspired me to try cooking seafood at home. Robert loves fish and frequently requests for us to eat it, so I knew that he would be more than pleased when I offered to make this dish.

The combination of spices, tomatoes and parmesan made this recipe look absolutely delicious, even for a reluctant seafood eater like myself. So I decided to take the plunge and give it a whirl. Not only did I make my husband happy that he had a home cooked fish dinner, but I liked it! This is definitely one to keep on the rotation.


Nantucket Baked Cod

Ingredients
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
dash of black pepper
dash of cayenne
1 lb fresh cod fillets
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut each fillet into 4 smaller pieces and place in a baking dish.
Melt the butter in a small bowl and brush over the cod pieces.

In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne.
Stir together and sprinkle evenly over the cod pieces.
Slice the tomatoes and place 1-2 slices on each piece of cod.

Sprinkle Parmesan on top of the tomatoes.
Place in the oven and bake for 8 minutes, then switch the broiler on high and cook for 8 minutes longer, until the cheese has browned and crisped.
Remove from the oven and serve with rice.
Source: Adapted from Dine and Dish


No comments:

Post a Comment