Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Couscous with Scallions and Parsley

I too have one more recipe from our celebration dinner to share, Couscous with Scallions and Parsley. Couscous is one of my favorite side dishes, but until last week I had only tried the boxed variety with season packets. While these taste delicious, I have always been a bit concerned with the level of sodium contained within the seasoning. This is particularly an issue because couscous is my go to healthy substitute for mashed potatoes and other rich sides.

I had been meaning to look up an alternative preparation and our Mediterranean themed meal was the perfect reason to figure it out. What I love about this recipe is that it doesn't mess with the simplicity and ease of couscous or the great flavors it can provide. In fact, I actually prefer the freshness of the onions and herbs in this dish as opposed to the pre-fabed boxed variety. The only change I would make next time, and I've included this into the recipe below, is that I would add some garlic powder to enhance the flavor.

Printer Friendly Version

Couscous with Scallions and Parsley


Ingredients
1 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup couscous
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup mined Italian parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions
In a pot combine the water, olive oil, and kosher salt and bring to a boil.
 Add the couscous, stir, and return to a boil.
 Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in the green onions, parsley, and garlic powder.

Our whole buffet spread at dinner
Source: Adapted from Food & Wine

No comments:

Post a Comment