Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Okra and Tomatoes

I mentioned a few weeks back that my mom and I used to feast on vegetables whenever my dad was out of town. Okra and tomatoes was another key component, along with corn and squash, of those feasts. I have not had this dish in several years, but the memory of the flavors never left me. When I received a pint of okra in my most recent produce share, I knew that this would be on our menu this week.
My mom and I this last Christmas
Traditionally, my mom and grandmother always serve okra and tomatoes over rice, but I tend to like it on it's own with rice on the side. Tonight I served it with rice and baked chicken to make for a complete meal that's flavorful and good for you. Next time you see okra in the grocery store, pick some up and try this summer favorite.

Printer Friendly Version

Okra and Tomatoes


Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cups diced celery
1 pint fresh okra, ends trimmed and sliced
1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes

Instructions
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
 Add the onions, celery and bell pepper and saute for 5 minutes.

 Add the canned tomatoes and begin to crush with the spatula.
 Add the sliced okra and stir to combine.
 Pour any remaining juices from the canned tomatoes, stir and cover with a lid.
 Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the okra is tender.
Serve with rice and chicken for a healthy meal. Robert decided to enjoy it all in a bowl like gumbo!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! How much would you charge for this plate? ;) yum!

    ReplyDelete