Thursday, August 4, 2011

Homemade Salsa

One of my favorite snacks is chips and salsa. While there are certainly jarred salsas that I enjoy, nothing beats the flavor of fresh, homemade salsa. Over the past three years I have used several recipes and I think I have finally found the right one for me.

My dad is in town for the week, so I decided it was time to see if he also approved of this new salsa recipe. You see, a few years ago I gave him some jars of the recipe I was using at the time and he complained that it wasn't spicy enough. So I made sure that this batch had a good kick. (Don't worry, you can adjust the spice level by the amount of seeds you remove from the jalapeno)

He loved it! Dad said it was so spicy it made his head sweat, which apparently means it was the perfect level of spicy. Who knew! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Printer Friendly Version

Homemade Salsa


Ingredients
1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes
2 jalapenos, chopped (seeds removed for a mild spice)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Instructions
In a large food processor add the whole tomatoes and Ro-Tel.
Add the chopped jalapenos, (I removed the seeds from only one and it was pretty spicy. For medium heat remove seeds from 1.5 peppers and for mild remove all the seeds)
lime juice,
cumin,
onion,
garlic,
salt and pepper
and cilantro.
Pulse the food processor until it reaches the desired consistency. I like mine smooth, not chunky so I pulse mine about 10 or so times.
Pour into a small bowl and eat with tortilla chips.
Source: Adapted from the Pioneer Woman

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy. I"m Suzie's Aunt in Canada and everyone up here makes their salsa far too sweet for us Okies. However, we are unable to locate Rotel Tomatoes. I think this will be the next item we ask family to smuggle in for us. Should be easy since unbreakable cans will travel safely in a suitcase. An cumin....who knew!

    ReplyDelete