Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sausage Balls


Before I was born, my mother was the youth minister at First Baptist Church in Monahans, Texas. In the months just prior to my birth, the FBC youth group solicited recipes from the women of the church and published and sold cookbooks as a fundraiser for an upcoming trip. My grandmother, Mimi,knowing my mother was expecting a girl, purchased an extra cookbook that she gave to me when I got married.

This cookbook contains so many recipes that my mother and grandmother made while I was growing up. Some of these great recipes have already been featured on A Thyme to Eat: Barbeque Meatloaf, Corn and Squash and Okra and Tomatoes. It really is a treasured addition to my ever growing cookbook library.

These sausage balls hold a special place in my heart for a few reasons. First, every time we would drive to Pampa, Texas to visit my mother's family, my grandmother, Memaw, would always bake a batch of these sausage balls for me to enjoy for breakfast during my visit. Second, when I left for college, sausage balls were a staple for the finals care packages sent by my mother every semester. As we approach December, Robert is rapidly approaching exam season and exam study mode so I thought I'd go ahead and whip up a batch for this week to fuel his studies.

The sausage balls taste like a sausage cheese biscuit and are great for the grab and go breakfast mornings that are a daily ritual in my life. Usually I'm fine with my banana with almond butter or instant oatmeal I make when I get to work, but every now and then, I want something with a little more heft. Sausage balls are great for such occasions. I hope you enjoy them as much as we have.

Printer Friendly Version

Sausage Balls


Ingredients
2 1/2 cups Bisquick
1 lb ground sausage
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the Bisquick and sausage.
Using your hands, mix until the Bisquick and sausage are fully blended into a nice ball.
Add the cheese.
Work the cheese into the ball with your hands being sure to incorporate into all of the ball and not just the edges.
Using your hands, form into small balls and place on a greased cookie sheet.
Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment