Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Up until this fall I had no idea what a butternut squash tasted like. I'd heard people rave about how much they enjoyed butternut squash soup or butternut squash ravioli but had no frame of reference for what those dishes would taste like. Since September, however, almost every single produce share has included a butternut squash, forcing me to figure out how to incorporate it into our weekly meals.

I started simple with the Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Butter Sage and decided I enjoyed the flavor of this winter squash. So the next share I got an acorn squash in addition to the butternut and decided to try making a soup out of both. The result was a disaster. Robert and I each took a taste, looked at each other and immediately reached for the phone to call in take out.

At that point I don't think I had any desire to try butternut squash soup again. That was until last Saturday when some was served at a baby shower I attended. I took a taste and was pleasantly surprised at the delightful taste. So when my produce share yet again included butternut squash, I decided to try to make soup one last time, this time without the acorn squash! I also decided to use a recipe that used a little more butter and cream rather than trying to be healthy without both. This time the soup was a success!

I think the cream, cayenne pepper and sherry really bring this version over the top! The soup is quite thick, so be careful when reheating as it can bubble up like lava! But believe me, it's worth.

Printer Friendly Version

Butternut Squash Soup


Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic, pressed
3-4 leaves fresh sage, chopped
2 - 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1/8 cup and a splash sherry
4 cup chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup cream

Instructions
Heat the butter and oil over medium heat in a large pot, at least 5 quarts.
Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic
and sage and saute for a minute.
Add the squash cubes and saute for 5 minutes more.
Pour in the chicken stock
sherry
and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 30-40 minutes until the squash is fork tender.

When done puree with an immersion blender or let cool and transfer to a food processor in batches, returning to the pot when done.
Pour in the cream and stir to incorporate.

Add salt and pepper to taste, although I forgot and the soup was just fine.

Source: The Italian Dish

No comments:

Post a Comment