Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Guinness Beef Stew

I've had a bit of a rough time adjusting to life back in the City after my week in the mountains. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and Dallas, but there's just something about Colorado and New Mexico that grabs ahold of me when I'm there and is reluctant to leave. This past trip we decided not to venture to the slopes to ski and instead opt to enjoy the peaceful quiet of the condo by the warmth of the fire. It was pure bliss. 
View entering Colorado
When I'm on vacation with access to a kitchen, I tend to opt for meals that are fairly low maintenance so I don't have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The past two winters, this stew has been a go to meal for us. I grew up with stews being regular menu items, especially for large family functions, but none carried the same complexity and flavor profile that this stew possesses. The combination of the Guinness, dark brown sugar and cocoa really compliment the beef and result in a fantastic hot meal on a cold, winter night.
View of the Gunnison River from the condo
Printer Friendly Version
Guinness Beef Stew


Ingredients
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 parsnips, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
2 pounds cubed stew meat (prepackaged at grocery store, if not you can cube 2 pounds top round roast)
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 cup water
1 12 ounce bottle Guinness Extra Stout

Instructions
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Add the vegetables,
and meat.
Saute until veggies begin to soften and the meat begins to brown.
Drain off any excess fat.
Pour contents into a 4-5 quart crock pot.
Top with the brown sugar, cocoa powder, salt and pepper.
Pour the water
and Guinness Extra Stout on top.
Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours.

Source: Adapted slightly from The Everything Healthy Slow-Cooker Cookbook by Rachel Rappaport

No comments:

Post a Comment