Monday, January 9, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup


The weather is rainy and cold today, and I myself and feeling a bit blue. I think that the best remedy for both is a hot bowl of soothing soup. Perhaps Chicken Noodle Soup would do the trick, but I much prefer tortilla soup, and I love this recipe inspired by a recipe in Cooking Light (I have made so many changes it is hard to say this is the same recipe).


Yes, there are a lot of ingredients, but once you have everything ready to go, it is simple to make and delightful to eat.



Printer Friendly Version:


Ingredients:
1 teaspoon of olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 fully cooked chicken breasts chopped into bite sized pieces
1 cup of corn
1/4 cup of dry white wine
1/3 cup of salsa, pureed in your blender (I used On the Border, medium)
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
2 (14 1/4 ounces) cans of chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounces) can of diced tomatoes, pureed in your blender
1 (10 3/4 ounces) can of condensed tomato soup (I used Campbell's Healthy Request)
1 to 2 cups of cooked brown rice

Steps:
1. Prepare and gather all of your ingredients. You do not have to puree the salsa and the diced tomatoes, but we like soups with a smoother consistency, and so that is why I pureed both.


Salsa and tomatoes in my Magic Bullet.

I keep my Magic Bullet and all of the pieces together and just underneath the counter top where I use it so that I actually use it and when I do it as painless as processing food can be!

Salsa and Tomatoes pureed together. 

2. Heat the oil in a heavy pan, such as a dutch oven.
3. Add the garlic (you could also add a chopped yellow onion at this point, Bunker just is not a fan of onions, and so I usually omit them for recipes in our kitchen), and saute for about 2 minutes.


4. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the cooked chicken and rice. I usually cook my chicken and rice (I do not use instant rice so it takes a while) while I make the soup.




5. Stir the ingredients together and bring to a boil.


6. Reduce the heat and simmer for one hour.


7. Add the fully cooked chicken and rice to the soup.




8. Enjoy on a chilly night with chips or crackers!


No comments:

Post a Comment