Sunday, September 11, 2011

JD's Chippery, a Dallas Classic

Well, tonight I had planned to bake and share with you a delightfully easy and delicious recipe for pumpkin spice muffins. Unfortunately, my local grocery store has not yet begun to stock canned pumpkin, an essential ingredient to this recipe. So instead, I decided to write about my favorite muffin bakery, JD's Chippery.

JD's Chippery opened in 1983, on the corner of Daniel and Hillcrest in Dallas, Texas, across from the Southern Methodist University campus. This quant, local bakery specializes in cookies and muffins that are made fresh daily. Additionally, JD's provides cherry limeades made from scratch that take one back to soda fountain days gone by.

I've been fortunate to live just a few blocks away from JD's the past two years, and it has frequently become a go to spot for breakfast on my way into work in the morning. Over the years, I've tried several of their muffins and each one is enjoyable for different reasons. Their double chocolate muffin is sinfully decadent and tastes more like dessert than breakfast. I tend to go for this option for special occasions, such as birthdays, anniversaries, and other celebratory events.
Photo credit: JD's Chippery Website

One of my other favorites is their pumpkin muffin. It's offered year round and tastes like fall in your mouth, much like a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. If you're concerned that a muffin won't fill you up and keep you full, I like to enjoy their ham and cheese muffin as a change to the sweeter muffin varieties, taking advantage of the protein that both ingredients provide.

Finally, if health is your concern, JD's offers 3 muffins that are low-fat: oat-branana, blueberry oat bran, and carrot apple raisin bran. My go-to muffin for day-to-day is the oat branana. It reminds me of the banana bread that my mom would make growing up with banana baked inside along with the bran. I like that it's more interesting than your standard bran muffin without losing the benefits that bran provides.

I know I haven't said much about the cookies. I've tasted several over the years and while they too are delicious, they are not what has me coming back for more. To me, JD's Chippery is all about the muffins and giving me something to eat on those rushed mornings headed to work. One important thing to note: they accept cash and checks only, no cards so come prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment