Wednesday, September 21, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pizza

When I made the dough for the Fig and Prosciutto Pizza last week, I had enough dough for 3 pizzas. So, I decided to put one ball of dough in the freezer for later pizza making adventures, and use the last pizza ball to make my version of BBQ Chicken Pizza.

I am a relatively new convert to BBQ Chicken pizzas. I've seen them listed at multiple pizza taverns, and even tried a few finding many of them too overtly sweet for my tastes. It wasn't until I tried the version offered at Vapiano Dallas that I decided it was a tasty option on their pizza menu.

My take includes shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken, balsamic red onions, gouda cheese, spicy barbeque sauce and diced tomatoes. This pizza will be a regular in our house. Robert and I both enjoyed the sweetness of the onions with the spiciness of the sauce and the creamy gouda cheese.

Printer Friendly Version

BBQ Chicken Pizza


Ingredients
1 ball of pre-made pizza dough
1 1/2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
3/4 small round of young gouda cheese
1 red onion cut into slices
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Barbeque sauce (preferably not too sweet)
1/2 cup diced tomatoes

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
In a skillet, melt the butter and balsamic vinegar over medium heat.

Add the sliced red onions.
Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until onions are soft and caramelized.
Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
Brush with the barbeque sauce.
Add the shredded gouda cheese. (sorry for the blurry picture, I think I was hungry)
Add the shredded chicken.
Top with the onions and tomatoes.
Place on the bottom rack and bake for 20 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese bubbly.
Slice and serve with your favorite wine or beer and great conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment