Monday, September 5, 2011

Grilled Salmon with Apricot-Mustard Glaze


Wow. I now know that due to my childhood food aversions (that lasted far into my adult life), I have missed out on one of the yummiest foods. Salmon! I just had no clue that something so delicious and nutritious was just sitting there at the grocery store, waiting for me to take it home and turn it into a tasty dinner! Same thing at so many restaurants, I just sort of zone out when they mention the word salmon while I scan the menu for chicken or steak. Well...after broadening my food horizons (for a few different reasons...including this blog!) and making this recipe, I now plan to incorporate salmon into my life at least once a week! If you too are a late comer to salmon, or seafood in general, I hope that this recipe inspires you to dip your toe into the limitless possibilities provided by seafood in the kitchen.

Shafer almost jumped into the fountain on our walk! I almost did too...it was so hot! This was on the 68th (and last!!!) day of 100 plus degree temperatures this summer.

This recipe comes from Cooking Light. I cooked only two fillets, each about 5 ounces, (the recipe calls for 4 fillets, each 6 ounces) and this was more than enough for a dinner for two. I did make the same amount of glaze, and I would do this again, as the glaze was rather phenomenal. Bunker and I both impolitely dipped our bread in the extra glaze. I think if you are at home and you both do this, the impoliteness is canceled out and the action instead should be seen as a silent compliment to the chef :)

Printer Friendly Version


Ingredients for the Salmon:
2 fillets of salmon (each 5 to 6 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper

Ingredients for the Glaze:
1/4 cup of apricot nectar (you should be able to find this in the juice section of your grocery store)
1/4 cup of apricot preserves
1 tablespoon of Honey-Dijon mustard (or just Dijon...we just had Honey-Dijon in the fridge)
1 1/2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons of honey
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper

Steps:
1. Gather all of your ingredients for the fish.


2. Sprinkle the fillets evenly with the salt, pepper and garlic.


3. Cover the fillets and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
4. While the fish is in the refrigerator, gather all of your ingredients for the glaze.


5. Combine all of the ingredients for the glaze in a small saucepan and heat over and bring to boil.



6. Once your glaze has come to a boil and things have melded together, reduce the heat to a simmer.


7. Let the glaze simmer for about 10 minutes, the glaze should reduce to about 1/4 a cup. Remove the glaze from the heat and set aside.
8. Take the fish out of the refrigerator and prepare the grill with cooking spray. Let the grill heat up before you add the fish, you want to grill to be very hot before you put anything on the grill.
9. Place the salmon skin side up on the grill and cook for about 2 minutes.


10. Turn over and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily.


11. Remove the fish from the grill and pour the glaze over the fish.



12. Enjoy on a hot summer evening! We enjoyed our salmon with a spinach salad, corn muffins, and whole wheat couscous with corn.






  

1 comment:

  1. yay glad to see this recipe! Todd and I had a really good grilled salmon at a friend's last night. I too usually turn my nose up at it or seafood in general but since i liked how last nights was cooked and its supposed to be so good for you we are going to try to make it once a week too! ill try it this way soon :) hope yall had a good labor day weekend!

    ReplyDelete