Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chicken Burrito Bowls

I've been reluctant to embrace crock pot meals for the past few years. The majority of the crock pot meals I remember from my childhood involved cream of _____ soups or other heavy ingredients that I have tried to remove from my diet. This recipe includes none of those items but all of the benefits of throwing ingredients into the crock pot in the morning and coming home to dinner almost ready.

Robert loves Chipotle and their burrito bowls. I love the concept, but I have found that more often than not the servers give me far too much rice, meat and cheese so that the proportions are not to my liking. I always end up picking things off and leaving way too much food behind. This recipe allows me to get the burrito bowl combo I enjoy with the ability to control the portions.

What I really love about this meal is that by slow cooking the chicken the meat falls apart so readily that shredding the chicken is effortless. One thing of note, once you shred the chicken, put it back in the crock pot and let sit and soak up the cooking juices for a few minutes before serving, otherwise you'll miss out on a lot of flavor!

Printer Friendly Version


Chicken Burrito Bowls


Ingredients
4 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup frozen white kernel corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes
Rice
Monterrey Jack Cheese
Lettuce
Salsa

Instructions
Begin by placing the chicken breasts into your crock pot.
Top with the corn,
Ro-Tel tomatoes
 and black beans.
Cook on low for 8 hours. Go to work, and take joy in the fact that dinner is practically done!
When you get home, remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred with two forks.
Place the chicken back into the crock pot and let sit for 15-20 minutes (while you cook the rice) to allow it to soak up the cooking liquid.

Once you're rice is ready, (I made cilantro lime rice, here's my favorite recipe) begin assembling your burrito bowl.

Start by placing the rice in the bottom.
 Then place the shredded chicken on top,
 followed by the black bean and corn mix from the crock pot,
 cheese and lettuce.
Enjoy with your favorite salsa for an added kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment