Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blueberry and Zucchini Bread




There are many reasons why any given recipe catches my attention enough for me to decide to give it a try. Sometimes the recipe includes my favorite ingredients. Others simply use techniques or ingredients that I have wanted to attempt to use. And then there are the recipes that include one or more (more is preferable) items I received in my produce share and sound tasty. This recipe is one of those latter recipes.
It’s summertime and that means that zucchini and yellow squash are a plenty, and the last 3 produce shares have certainly reflected that reality. I have heard from my friends who have gardens in their backyards that zucchini plants are often so fruitful that you quickly run out of ways to prepare them that don’t get tiresome. I haven’t reached that point yet, but I am certainly trying to get creative with how I use them anyways.
The most recent produce share also included a pint of ripe, Texas blueberries. Now, while I do love the taste of blueberries, I’m not one that enjoys them raw. Rather I tend to prefer them baked in muffins, pancakes or cobblers. So needless to say when I saw this recipe that would use not only some of the zucchini I had in stock but also the blueberries I was sold. I had to try it.
The results are interesting. The bread is certainly sweeter than the typical zucchini bread which is a result of the blueberries. Additionally, it’s denser than your average blueberry muffin as well. Ultimately, the more bites you take, the more compelled you are to take another and, in the end, the taste is conclusively delicious.
Blueberry and Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (I think next time I’ll reduce it to 1/2 cup)
1 large egg plus 1 egg white
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup shredded zucchini (about 1.5 med zucchinis)
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 pint of blueberries
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, 
sugar, 
brown sugar, 
egg and vanilla.
Stir to fully combine. 
Stir in zucchini and mix well. 
In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, 
baking soda, 
baking powder, 
salt and cinnamon. 
Stir to combine.
Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and gently fold them in until just barely combined (don’t over mix). 


Fold in the blueberries.


Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan or muffin tins. 
Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick entered in the center comes out clean, about 30  minutes for muffins or an hour for a loaf. Remove from oven and let cool in pans for about 15 minutes 
then place on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting and serving.

Source: All Things Catered (unfortunately this blog appears to no longer exist)

No comments:

Post a Comment