I never thought I would want to try to make Baked Spinach. I grew up turning my nose up at cooked spinach (partially because my older sister liked it!), and as an adult, I just haven't wanted to venture down that path. However, the other night when eating dinner at our friends' house, they served baked spinach. My initial reaction was...yuck! I put some on my plate and thought I will just move it around. But, I ended up tasting a bit, and yum! It was creamy and flavorful and so comforting! So, I am trying my own hand at baked spinach tonight...and I think it will now be a new regular at our dinner table.
Printer Friendly Version
One 10 ounce package of frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of flour
1/2 cup of milk (I used skim)
1/4 cup of shredded cheese (I used Gouda because that is what we had in the fridge!)
Salt and pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the flour and continue to cook for about 30 minutes.
3. Add the milk, stirring constantly, and cook, until smooth and slightly thickened, about 1 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the spinach and cheese and stir to heat throughout.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Pour the spinach into a prepared baking dish.
7. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top.
8. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Happy Shafer (ready for a belly rub)!
Happy Cort (notice her tail...wagging so fast it is blurry!)!