Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sauteed Collard Greens

For whatever reason, collard greens have always been my favorite vegetable. So when I saw a fresh bunch of collard greens in my produce share last week, I was pretty excited. While I have long loved eating collard greens, I've never tried my hand at cooking collard greens.

From what I remember, the collard greens I had growing up were boiled. Although I never really paid much attention so I could be wrong. I did some research and decided that sauteeing the greens in bacon grease was the way I wanted to go. The results were fantastic. I don't know if it was because it had been so long since I had collard greens or if this recipe was so much better than my grandmother's recipe but these collard greens were the best I had ever had.

Printer Friendly Version

Sauteed Collard Greens


Ingredients
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 bunch collard greens

Instructions
Place the bacon in a hot skillet.
 Cook until the bacon has released most of its fat and is beginning to crisp then add the collard greens in batches, letting the leaves wilt before adding a new batch.
 Saute until the greens have wilted down to fit in the pan.
 Cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 minutes.
 Remove from the heat and serve along side your favorite protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment