Dallas is having a huge storm tonight...much appreciated rain for both the plants and to hopefully get some of this pollen out of the air. I thought it would be fun to have an old fashioned treat for dinner to celebrate the rain by staying cozy and dry inside. Meat, cheese and pasta, that is basically the equation for comfort food, warming and filling. Hopefully you will enjoy this rather easy recipe for a homemade treat.
Printer Friendly Version
1 pound of lean ground beef
1 cup of chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes, pureed
1/2 cup of tomato paste
1 tablespoon of Italian seasonings
No boil lasagna noodles
3 cups of cottage cheese
6 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese
A splash of fresh lemon juice
1. Gather your ingredients and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the beef, onion and garlic. Cook until the beef is browned.
3. Add the pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasoning.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes. You want the sauce to thicken.
5. While the sauce thickens, make the filling by combining the egg, cottage cheese, mozzarella and lemon juice.
6. To assemble the lasagna spread enough sauce over the bottom of your baking dish so that the bottom is covered. Layer the noodles on top of the sauce. Then add half the cheese filling over the noodles. Add half of the sauce over the filling. Top the sauce with noodles. Top these noodles with the remaining cheese filling and then the sauce and one more layer of noodles. Finish the lasagna by adding a bit more sauce over the noodles. I actually ran out of sauce, so I used back up canned sauce from the fridge. Then sprinkle a little cheese on top.
7. Bake in a 375 degree over for about 30 to 35 minutes.
8. Enjoy with yummy rolls! We are using Sister Schubert rolls...my absolute favorite!