First of all, I had forgotten I already did a gingerbread recipe! Turns out, I really do like gingerbread muffins! However, this is a different recipe, and a bit easier, so I decided to post it anyways. They are both delicious, but this one uses fewer ingredients and is less spicy, so perhaps better for little ones. These turned out beautifully fluffy and moist, with a kiss of sweetness.
Chilling out in the back yard.
I made these specifically for one of my husband's cousins. She and her husband just had their second child, a little girl. I am sure their older son is a little confused about what is going on, so hopefully these little treats will make the arrival of his little sister a little sweeter. I also thought that a little muffin (or two) at three in the morning feedings would be nice for the mom! And, oops, they are getting at least one less muffin than expected, they are truly yummy and have filled my house with the comforting aroma of freshly baked gingerbread.
Hi there cuteness!
The recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook.
Printer Friendly Version
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of light molasses (mild)
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) cut into smaller pieces
3/4 cup of boiling water (measuring after you boil)
1 large egg
1. Gather your ingredients.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare your muffin pan with muffin liners.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir together to combine.
4. In another bowl, combine the molasses and butter, and then pour the boiling water over both ingredients and stir until the butter melts.
5. Add the molasses mixture to the flour mixture.
6. Add the egg and stir to combine.
7. Spoon the batter into your prepared muffin liners.
8. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Check to see if they are done by inserting a toothpick into the center of the muffin. If it comes out clean, then the muffins are done!
9. Enjoy with a cold glass of milk!