Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sweet Creamy Cornbread

In my family, a bowl of chili and slice of cornbread go hand in hand. It's rare to have one without the other. Typically, my mom whips up cornbread using the Jiffy corn muffin mix or Pioneer cornbread mix you can find at the grocery store. This time, however, I decided I wanted to make homemade cornbread without the mix.

A good friend of mine makes her cornbread with sour cream and creamed corn in addition to Jiffy cornbread mix. It's delicious and creamy, so much richer than regular cornbread. With this in mind, I set off to find a similar recipe without the mix. What I found was this recipe by Paula Deen. I made a few adjustments to suit my preferences: using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, using canola oil, and adding 3/4 cup of sugar. This cornbread is grainier than I was used to, but really delicious. Robert has declared it to be our go to recipe from now on.

Please forgive the lack of photos in this post. Apparently I was hungry and in a rush while making this and most of my photos came out blurry.


Sweet Creamy Cornbread

Ingredients
1/2 cup canola oil, plus 1/4 cup for greasing the pan
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 can cream style corn
2 eggs
1 7 ounce container 2% Fage Greek Yogurt

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Season a cast iron skillet with 1/4 cup canola oil. Place the pan on a burner at medium high heat to preheat the pan.
 In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup canola oil, cornmeal, flour, corn, eggs, and yogurt. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir the mixture until fully blended.
 Pour the batter into the skillet and place in the oven, baking for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.

 Remove from the oven and enjoy with chili, soup, or stew with a pat of butter.
Source: Adapted from Paula Deen

No comments:

Post a Comment