Thursday, December 1, 2011

Orange Cranberry Scones

A few months back I shared my recipe for blueberry scones. One of the reasons I love this recipe is how they are lightly sweetened and not as dense as many scones can be. So this weekend I decided to try changing up the recipe to replace the blueberries with dried cranberries and orange zest. I also had some oat flour in the pantry so I thought I'd throw that in as well. Finally, I added an orange glaze to enhance the orange flavor of the scones.

The result was delightful! The oat flour provided a heft to the scones without compromising the airiness that I've come to expect from this recipe. The next time you need to bring breakfast to a function, you should consider bringing these scones. You won't be disappointed.

Printer Friendly Version

Orange Cranberry Scones


Ingredients
3 cups flour (I used 1 cup oat flour and 2 cups whole wheat flour)
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 stick butter, softened
17 ounces lowfat Greek yogurt (I used 0% Fage)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries
zest of an orange
4 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the flour, 
baking powder,
salt
and sugar. 
Whisk together to fully incorporate. 
Cut the softened butter into pieces and add to the flour mixture. 
Using your whisk, or pastry cutter if you have one, cut the butter into the flour until well blended.
Gently fold in the greek yogurt and vanilla until well blended. 

Finally, fold in the dried cranberries and orange zest.


Spoon the mixture onto a greased baking sheet. (Should make 12-14 scones) 
Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the tops are golden brown. 

While the scones are baking, combine the powdered sugar
 and orange juice in a small bowl.
 Whisk to combine.
Remove from the oven and brush the tops with the orange glaze.
Let cool and serve with fresh coffee or a nice cup of tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment