Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Fast and Easy Green Beans

Growing up, green beans were always served out of a can, mainly because that's the way my dad liked it. The first time I had fresh green beans I enjoyed the taste, but the texture of increased crunch wasn't much to my liking. I've since discovered a few things that keep the fresh taste but improve on the crunchiness greatly. And, bonus, this side dish is the easiest and fastest recipe and I turn to it often.

The first secret for making these perfect green beans is to use haricot verts or French green beans instead of the American variety, their smaller size and sweeter flavor really makes a difference. Also, I like to let them char just a little. I think it adds great depth to the flavor and caramelizes them just a bit. Other than that just throw the beans, butter, water and a touch of salt and pepper into the skillet and you're pretty much done. I highly recommend it!

Printer Friendly Version
Fast and Easy Green Beans


Ingredients
1 pound fresh haricot verts, trimmed and rinsed
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup water
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
After trimming and rinsing, place the green beans in the skillet. Add in the water, 
butter, salt and pepper.
Cover and turn the burner on high cooking for 7-8 minutes, or until tender and slightly charred.

Serve with your favorite main course dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment