Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dr Pepper Pulled Pork

Last weekend Robert and I hosted some friends that we hadn't seen in a while for dinner. I wanted to cook dinner but also wanted to ensure that I chose a menu that wouldn't have me cooking all the way up to when it was time to sit and eat, like I usually do. So I settled on pulled pork cooked all day in the crock pot.

My mentor at worked had mentioned that he and his wife like to make their pulled pork with Dr Pepper and I was immediately intrigued. The last several times I made pulled pork, I used a boneless pork shoulder and this time I decided to try pork shoulder with the bone in. Both ways are delicious, but there definitely is a richness that the bone provides. Serve the pork on hawaiian bread rolls as sliders and this would be a great addition to a Super Bowl Party spread.

Printer Friendly Version

Dr Pepper Pulled Pork


Ingredients
3 lb pork shoulder
pork spice rub
1 yellow onion, quartered
3-4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 mini cans or one normal can of Dr Pepper
Hamburger Buns

Instructions
Place the onion quarters and smashed garlic cloves in the bottom of the crock pot.
For the spice rub, I used McKormick's Grillmasters Pork Spice rub but feel free to use whatever rub or spice combo you think is best. Rub about 1-2 tablespoons all over the pork shoulder.
Heat a dry skillet over high heat and sear the pork shoulder on all sides.
After searing, place the pork in the crock pot on top of the onions and garlic.
Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the pork.
Pour in the Dr Pepper on top.
Stir up the contents then cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
After 8 hours is up, carefully remove the meat from the crock pot and shred with two forks discarding any fat and bone.
While the meat is out of the crock pot, blend the liquid, onions, and garlic using an immersion blender or by transferring to a blender and pureeing until smooth.

Put the shredded pork back in the crock pot with the liquid and let sit on "keep warm" for about an hour to soak up the juices.
When ready, serve on toasted buns with your favorite BBQ sauce and sides and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment