2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup sliced squash (the original recipe called for mushrooms...but I forgot to buy mushrooms and I had squash at home, so that was an easy substitute).
1 cup frozen, chopped spinach
1 cup quick-cooking brown rice, uncooked
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon of Cavendar's Seasoning, or seasoning of choice
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese (the original recipe called for feta...but I really dislike feta)
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
2. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add the chopped onion and garlic to the pan and cook until they are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
11. Return the heavy pan to the range and heat to medium-high heat with one teaspoon of olive oil and the chopped chicken.
17. Remove the casserole from the oven and uncover the dish to add the lemon juice and slivered almonds.
19. Add Parmesan cheese to each serving and enjoy with a hearty bread!
Roses from our garden.