Friday, May 6, 2011

Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping

Let me preface this by saying that I didn't love blueberry muffins before I made this recipe. I made these muffins for my parents to take up to my grandparents this weekend for a special treat since I cannot go myself. However, my mom and I just split one of these muffins after a long morning walk with the puppies. Oh my goodness, it was so tasty and delicate and moist! What a treat! Who knew I was missing out on such a delicious way to start the day all these years? Honestly, I was one of those difficult children who decided not to like certain foods just because my older sister, Jeanie, did. She loves blueberry muffins, so I clearly had to hate them. Sorry mom!

I found this recipe on Food & Wine, and I stayed very true to the recipe as I had never made them before, and in baking, much like chemistry, measurements and components are rather important.

Anyways, I know that you will love these blueberry muffins (as I love them now too!) for a quick morning breakfast on the run or for a slow and relaxing weekend brunch on the patio. Perfect for upcoming yummy summer mornings!


Printer Friendly Version


Ingredients:

Crumb Topping:
1 Cup of All-Purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons of Light Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Granulated Sugar
1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt (I used about 1/4 teaspoon)
6 Tablespoons of Butter (melted)

Muffins:
1 3/4 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
2 1/4 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Cup of Granulated Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup of Canola Oil
3/4 Cup of Whole Milk (I actually followed the rules and used whole milk this time...important in muffins)
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Cups of Blueberries (mine were frozen, no need to defrost)

Steps:
Crumb Topping:
1. Combine the 1 Cup of Flour, 3 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar, 2 Tablespoons of Granulated Sugar, 1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl.




2. Cut up the 6 Tablespoons of butter into smaller pieces.



3. Melt the Butter in a microwave safe bowl for about 45 seconds (until it is a liquid).

4. Add the butter to the flour and sugar mixture and stir together until small pea sized and smaller clumps form. You might want to use your fingers once the butter is absorbed. It should be "crumbly" for the crumb topping.


5. Set aside.

Muffins:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare your muffin tin with muffin liners.
2. Combine the 1 3/4 Cups of Flour, 2 1/4 Teaspoons of Baking Powder and 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.


3. In a Standing Mixer stir together the 1 Cup of Sugar, 2 Eggs, and 1/2 Cup of Canola Oil. Mix at a low speed until combined and you achieve a soft yellow color and smooth and silky texture.




4. Beat the 3/4 Cup of Whole Milk and the 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla into the Sugar mixture until you achieve a smooth and liquid consistency.


5. Add the Flour Mixture into the Sugar and Milk mixture and stir until just combined.


6. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the blueberries by hand. My batter turned purple! But do not panic if yours do as well, my muffins came out a beautiful golden color rather than purple. Although, that would have been fun and different to have purple muffins!



7. Ladle the batter into your prepared muffin tin. I filled mine almost to the top so I only made 12 muffins and they poofed up beautifully above the muffin liners, so I recommend that rather than the standard 3/4 of the way full.


No matter how careful I am...I always make a mess...or abstract art...you decide!

8. Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of all of the muffins.


9. Bake at 375 for about 35 to 40 minutes. The muffins will be golden brown and still slightly springy to the touch.

10. Enjoy with a tall cold glass of milk!


1 comment: