Saturday, October 29, 2011

Ginger Soy Vegetable Stir Fry

Growing up, vegetables almost always played a secondary or tertiary role to meat, predominately beef, and starch, usually potatoes. Even with this limited exposure, I have always been a vegetable lover when fresh vegetables are served to me. However, when I'm planning out our weekly menu, I can sometimes fall back into the habit of forgetting to include a sufficient amount of veggies in a meal or week of meals.

Robert regularly asks for me to cook more veggies, and I am just now starting to discover meals that meet his request. Of course I'm benefitted by a husband who is willing to forgo meat from time to time if the vegetarian meal I place before him is flavorful and filling. This stir fry meets both requirements. The ginger soy and low-sodium soy sauces provide the veggies with a great flavor without compromising the health benefits and the veggies and rice are more than enough for a satisfying dinner.

Printer Friendly Version

Ginger Soy Vegetable Stir Fry


Ingredients
1 small yellow squash, sliced
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 of a red onion cut into thick slices
3/4 cup sugar snap peas
1 package sliced mushrooms
3 green onions, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon ginger soy sauce
1 small can water chestnuts, drained
cooked brown rice

Instructions
In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium high heat.
 Add the squash, zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, snap peas and onions.
 Saute for 9 minutes then add the garlic and green onions.
 Saute for 2 minutes more then add the water chestnuts and stir to warm through.
 Pour in low sodium soy sauce,
 and ginger soy sauce.
 Stir well to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over a bed of brown rice for a healthy vegetarian meal.

1 comment:

  1. That looks very delicious! Can I remove the squash to my ingredients and replace to another vegetable? I think it's more delicious if I remove the squash from the ingredients. Anyway, thanks for sharing your great recipe.

    Beef Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete