Sunday, June 17, 2012

Green Chile Breakfast Casserole

Saturdays are probably my favorite day of the week. The primary reason is the ability to sleep until I wake up and spend the day working around the house, which right now means continuing to unpack boxes and get our life in order. In our previous residence, we lived a 2 minute drive behind Bubba's, a delicious southern fried chicken joint with great breakfast and a drive through. We could roll out of bed, hop in the car and get eggs, bacon and biscuits and gravy and continue on with our lazy Saturday.

Unfortunately, it's no longer that easy to get Bubba's breakfast on Saturday morning. However, this week I think I may have come across our new lazy Saturday breakfast norm, the breakfast casserole. The beauty about the breakfast casserole is that all the work is done the night before. So when you finally wake up, but before you're really ready to get out of bed, you can heat the oven and put the ready-to-go casserole in the oven and crawl back in bed until it's ready. Easy peasy.

This recipe actually comes from my mother and a cookbook she and the youth at First Baptist Monahans Texas put together as a fundraiser when she was Youth Minister before I was born. My grandmother bought me a book at the time and gave it to me when I went to college and started cooking for myself. Mom always called it "Youth Breakfast Casserole" because it was what she always made for breakfasts for the youth group and for the disciple now groups staying at our house. To my knowledge, we only had this when we had guests staying at our house.

That being said, I think this is the new basis of a weekly breakfast ritual for Robert and I. We've already discussed ways to add variation (mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc) and we love how the quantity takes care of us on Sunday as well. If we come up with any brilliant combinations, I'll be sure to post the here. Because lets be honest, who couldn't use an easy breakfast for those lazy Saturday mornings?

Printer Friendly Version

Green Chile Breakfast Casserole


Ingredients
3 slices of bread torn into small pieces
6 eggs beaten
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon pepper
1 small can green chiles
1 cup grated cheese
1 pound sausage, browned and drained

Instructions
Brown the sausage and break into crumbles.
 Break the 6 eggs into a medium to large bowl and whisk until beaten.
 Add the 2 cups milk, salt and pepper to the eggs and stir to combine.
 Add the green chiles and stir to combine.
 In a 9x12 pan, place the bread pieces evenly across the pan.
 Pour the egg mixture on top of the bread.
 Top with the sausage
 and cheese. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
 In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the casserole in the oven and bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
Serve with coffee and enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment