For my first recipe, I decided to start at the very beginning of my journey with food: the first meal I learned to make. Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans is my ultimate comfort food meal. It's a recipe my mother taught me as I stood next to her in our family's kitchen; I'm sure someday it'll be the first meal I teach my own daughter.
My family has always made meatloaf in small miniature loaves rather than one large loaf so that each person gets their own. This method has led to my husband lovingly nicknaming this dish "Staci's Marvelous Meat Mounds." While I've never attempted to make this recipe into the traditional loaf, I'm sure it can be done. Feel free to do so if the thought of meatloaf in any other way is too much for you to handle.
1 lb ground turkey, or ground beef
1 small yellow onion, minced
1 cup bread crumbs
1 large egg, beaten
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
2 T dark brown sugar
1 t worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine the first 6 ingredients and one of the cans of tomato sauce.
3. Using your hands, mix the meat mixture until all aspects are incorporated evenly
4. Form the mixture into 6 miniature loaves and place on a greased baking sheet
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
6. While the loaves are in the oven, combine the remaining three ingredients in a small bowl to make the sauce.
7. Remove loaves from oven and top with tomato sauce and return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
8. Remove from oven and serve with your favorite sides. I recommend mashed potatoes and green beans, but that's just me.